Welcome to Our Puppy Blog!

Welcome to our blog! I am a small hobby breeder of Schnoodle puppies. My Schnoodles are a cross of the White Schnauzer with a Red Poodle. These dogs do not shed, are great for allergy sufferers, are friendly and easily trained.

We have 4 breeding females and sell our puppies face to face as required by APHIS rules for hobby breeders.


Our breeding dogs are from purebred Akc lines and the Schnoodle puppies are registered with ICA (the registry for Designer breed dogs.)

They will be vet checked, have their first set of shots, and they have been using a Ugodog Potty tray from 4 to 8 weeks. But this is just the beginning! Read through our posts to see the special care and attention we give our litter. You will enjoy watching our Growing Puppies!

We sell our puppies through our Waiting list. To reserve your spot on the Waiting List requires a $250 deposit. If you have any questions please email me at GrowingPuppies@gmail.com

Visit www.SchnoodlePuppy.weebly.com for more information on buying a puppy.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Grooming the Schnoodle Puppy

When the puppies were just 4 weeks old they got their first nail trimming.  This was to help Dixie not get scratched by the puppies while they nursed. 

Last Saturday I did some more puppy grooming.  I always exhaust the puppies first with a good romp outdoors so they will be less squirmy when I groom them.  Then I went to it...

1. Clipping the fur on the Pads of their feet
I'm only 7 weeks, but I am getting pretty fluffy!
It is important to clip the fur around the pads of the puppies feet.  Long fur collects dirt and germs, plus it is prone to getting matted which can be rather uncomfortable.  The puppies feet fur was already long and thick.  I trimmed it down around the nails and between the pads of their feet.
I spent all my energy in playtime, so I am pretty relaxed right now.


2. Clipping Toe Nails
After clipping the feet fur, I was able to see the toe nails quite visibly.  I used specially designed dog toe clippers to trim each toe nail on the front and back paws.  When you take your puppy in for his first hair cut, you might want to ask the groomer to show you how to clip the nails.  Their are also a lot of good instruction online. You have to be very careful not to clip the wick or you will cause the dog to bleed.  It is advisable to keep Styptic powder on hand as it will stop the bleeding of a toe nail.  Happily, I have never needed it.
Mom gives me tummy rubs to reward me during grooming.


3. Trimming the Fur around the eyes
It is important for your puppy to be able to see, and we also don't want excessive fur to be a breeding ground of bacteria around your puppies eyes.  Today I trimmed the fur that was at the corners of their eyes and cleaned away any goop that had accumulated.  I used a pair of round nose scissors, especially for cutting fur, so I wouldn't risk any injury.


4. Trimming the Anal area.
It is also important to keep the fur trimmed short near the puppies anus, so that the fur in this area won't trap feces.  If puppies get a dried poopy butt it is unsightly, unhygienic and very uncomfortable for the puppy.
I am a good puppy even for grooming!


This was all the grooming that was necessary for the 7 week old puppy.  But it will be good for you to continue to do these same grooming activities with your puppy.  The puppy will need to be groomed all his life, and he better get use to being handled early on, or he will be a problem for the groomer.
Look!  You can see my eyes!


As the summer heat sets in, your puppy will also need his body fur trimmed.  The groomer will also routinely pluck fur from inside the dogs ear canal.
Do you like my manicure?

Grooming your puppy is not just to make them look good.....it is a NECESSARY aspect of your Schnoodles health.    Ear infections and overgrown toenails are very painful.  Allowing a dogs fur to get matted is cruel because matted fur pulls at their skin and is very uncomfortable for a dog.   Please take the grooming requirements of your Schnnoodle seriously.

Even if you take your dog to a regular groomer, it is a good idea for you to get use to some of the minor grooming in between visits.  I love a freshly groomed dog!  You can see their beautiful eyes.  They look cute and everyone wants to cuddle with him.  And as the primary house cleaner in my home, I just feel better knowing that our dog is fresh and clean enough to sit on my couch.  

 

2 comments:

  1. Grooming your dog is one of the most important tasks that you should undertake on a constant basis throughout your dogs life. This is especially true of long haired breeds that need constant grooming, not only for appearance, but for your dog's health.

    Dog Groomer Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your note! You are so right. There will always be that dog owner that tries to put this task off until after the first year. Then the dog is so out of control that they have to take the dog to a veterinary groomer for sedation. It is so unfortunate, as they have created an expensive problem for themselves and their dog.

      Delete