Welcome to Our Puppy Blog!

Welcome to our blog! I am a small hobby breeder of Schnoodle puppies. My Schnoodles are a cross of the White Schnauzer with a Red Poodle. These dogs do not shed, are great for allergy sufferers, are friendly and easily trained.

We have 4 breeding females and sell our puppies face to face as required by APHIS rules for hobby breeders.


Our breeding dogs are from purebred Akc lines and the Schnoodle puppies are registered with ICA (the registry for Designer breed dogs.)

They will be vet checked, have their first set of shots, and they have been using a Ugodog Potty tray from 4 to 8 weeks. But this is just the beginning! Read through our posts to see the special care and attention we give our litter. You will enjoy watching our Growing Puppies!

We sell our puppies through our Waiting list. To reserve your spot on the Waiting List requires a $250 deposit. If you have any questions please email me at GrowingPuppies@gmail.com

Visit www.SchnoodlePuppy.weebly.com for more information on buying a puppy.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Good Books for Preparing for a Puppy

Every time I prepare for a big event....I start researching ahead of time.  This  is true even when I have been through it several times before.  For example, I have given birth to seven healthy children through natural childbirth (no drugs or intervention) and with every child I prepared ahead of time by studying pregnancy and child birth from beginning to end.   I especially liked the Bradley Method of Childbirth because it focused on good nutrition, physical exercise, and how nature works in the birth process.  By understanding nature, I was better able to know and do what was best for myself and my baby no matter what circumstances occurred.   It is so much better to understand how nature works and work with it.  It is not my way to sit back, do nothing, and then have to react to the problems that occur as they happen.

Just as I prepared for my own children, I also prepare for each puppy whelping.  I read and study as if it was our first litter, to refresh my memory on how to set our mama and her puppies up for whelping success in the beginning.

Now that I am bringing home an 8 week old puppy, the situation is new once more.   I don't rear puppies from 8 weeks to adult every year.  So I like to read new books to refresh my memory of puppy rearing and pick up on new insights and methods.  I want to understand her developmental stages, provide her with her needs and structure her life from the beginning, so we will help her reach her highest potential and avoid any bad habits or behavioral issues for the future.
 
  One of my favorite author for dog rearing, is Dr. Ian Dunbar.  Dr Ian Dunbar has been an animal behaviorist for the past 35 years.  He has written numerous books to share his tried and true approach to dog training.  A big part of his philosophy is understanding developmental stages of dogs and avoiding bad habits before they start.   I had read several of his books with my past dogs, and recently purchased one specifically for new puppies.  Before and After Getting Your Puppy, by Dr Ian Dunbar is comprehensive and common sense.  I have been reading through it over the past several days and enjoying his sound advice.


Dr Ian Dunbars recommendations are consistent with the methods I will be using with my new puppy.  He recommends preparing a puppy confinement area with a crate, a puppy toilet, appropriate chew toys etc.  He discusses the importance of early socialization, house training, chewing and Bite inhibition.  He also addresses common pitfalls, simple commands, tricks and adolescence behaviors.  I am especially interested in this book because it will be a nice summary for my new puppy families to buy for themselves.   Read it before you get your puppy.  I will keep my book on the coffee table.   Hopefully other members of my household will also pick it up for reference.  This books is truly the nuts and bolts of what to do and when to do it with your puppy from 8 weeks through adolescence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment