What I like to use for SUPER disinfecting is a bleach solution (use away from the nursery!). That is what I am soaking my UGODOG trays in right now. They will sit in the solution for 15 minutes, out in the garage. Then I will scrub them some more, and hose them down with water to rinse. I don't bring them into the nursery until they are completely dry. This method will completely sanitize the Ugodogs potty systems so I will feel confident putting them in the puppy pen for this years litter.
Studies show that Parvovirus, Canine Corna Virus and Kennel Cough can be resistant to everyday disinfectants so it is important to properly disinfect. These viruses have never been present in my home...but I like to be extra careful anyway!
Bleach Solution: – 1:10 ratio
For most surfaces: mix ¼ cup bleach with 2 ¼ cup water
Toys, food and water bowls and grooming supplies: mix of 1 teaspoon bleach per 2 cups of cold water
Toys and other items must be completely dried before puppies can use them. Bleach fumes are toxic. Always clean items outdoors or in well ventilated area.
Never mix bleach with any other solutions besides water
Bleach is strongly corrosive and can only be used on certain surfaces
The surface being cleaned must be in contact with bleach for at least 5 minutes to effectively disinfect
I do not use Bleach Solutions in the nursery while puppies are present because of the harmful fumes.
Here is what I use for daily cleaning inside the nursery....
Homemade Solution for heavy duty floor cleaner: ¼ cup white vinegar, 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap, ¼ cup baking soda, 2 gallons tap water, very warm to hot.
Some other options are as follows:
• Baking Soda – cleans, deodorizes, softens water, scours.
• Borax – (sodium borate) cleans, deodorizes, disinfects, softens water, cleans wallpaper, painted walls and floors.
• Lemon – one of the strongest food-acids, effective against most household bacteria.
• Isopropyl Alcohol – is an excellent disinfectant.
If you have visited a questionable breeding facility where there could be sick dogs, the Animal Shelter etc, you should take precautions against Parvo in your puppy room before you bring your new puppy home...Being extra careful to avoid disease is very important until your puppy has had his full set of vaccines.Remember, Parvo is transmitted by direct contact with an infected animal....BUT ALSO by the feces and that can be carried by shoes. Parvo can live in soil for up to one year. Bleach is the only solution recommended by the CDC to kill the Parvo Virus. Here is more information by the SPCA on Parvo...https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/parvovirus
Remember: Bleach is recommended by CDC as the only 100% solution for fighting Parvovirus .
Disinfecting floors with a bleach solution before you bring your puppy home is a very good precaution. (have plenty of ventilation until the floor is dry)