Welcome to Our Puppy Blog!

Welcome to our blog! I am a small hobby breeder of Schnoodle puppies. My Schnoodles are a cross of the White Schnauzer with a Red Poodle. These dogs do not shed, are great for allergy sufferers, are friendly and easily trained.

We have 4 breeding females and sell our puppies face to face as required by APHIS rules for hobby breeders.


Our breeding dogs are from purebred Akc lines and the Schnoodle puppies are registered with ICA (the registry for Designer breed dogs.)

They will be vet checked, have their first set of shots, and they have been using a Ugodog Potty tray from 4 to 8 weeks. But this is just the beginning! Read through our posts to see the special care and attention we give our litter. You will enjoy watching our Growing Puppies!

We sell our puppies through our Waiting list. To reserve your spot on the Waiting List requires a $250 deposit. If you have any questions please email me at GrowingPuppies@gmail.com

Visit www.SchnoodlePuppy.weebly.com for more information on buying a puppy.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dixie Gets a Haircut

Dixie can't even see with eyebrows this long!
You may have noticed from some of the recent photos that Dixie  has been looking more like an English Sheepdog, then a Schnauzer.  Admittedly her fur was a little overgrown.

I usually don't let her go so long between trimmings...but my cheapo, Walmart clippers were not working like they use to.  These clippers by Wahl were what I bought 10 years ago when Toby was a little puppy.  I didn't know if I would be successful at grooming...so I didn't want to spend much money.  I have to admit they have done the job for 10 years now...but I am glad to move on now.
The blade on my last clippers was slipping (even though I tried to secure the lever with Duck Tape).  The blade would slide down short, and I would find myself nicking the dogs.   That just is not acceptable!

So I started to research for my next clippers...a set to last me for the rest of my years.


I already knew that the top two brands of clippers were Andis and Oster.  It seemed that both were pretty expensive, running from $60-200.  Andis seemed to have higher reviews...so I decided to go for that brand.

Andis has so many clippers to choose from it was quite a dilemma to know what to choose.  When I really want to get the Best buy for my money, I usually go to a middle price range.  The Andis AG2 Speed seemed to right smack in the middle at $108.08.   It was an improvement over the cheaper models since it has detachable blades.  That was an essential element to me.  I wanted to be able to change the length of my cut without any trouble.    Additionally the AG2 has a nice long cord, a quiet motor, and a VERY smooth cut!  I wish I had bought these several years ago.  These clippers are awesome!




Soon after I ordered my clippers I realized that I hadn't bought clipper oil.  I was hating to have to spend more money....but I would ruin my clippers right away if they weren't oiled every time I use them.  (before and after a cut).  I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box to find that they actually come with clipper oil!  Yah!



 


 The blade that comes in the box is a #10 length.  Thats a nice close cut and will work well on our Toby's back...the head, ears and so forth.  But for Dixie's back, I wanted a longer cut.  I chose a #7FC since it was recommended for the dog with a finer coat.  It will be great in the winter too, when I want both dogs to have a longer cut.

The first step in grooming the dog is to me the most tedious.  I give them a really good bath, then I blow them dry and work out all the knots and matts.  Because Dixie's fur was so long, it was pretty knotted in places.  I was glad to have a 'Matt Breaker' to work through the tangles with the least pain.

First off I trimmed Dixie's back, neck and face.
 When I start to shave the dogs, I put them on a table. (preferably on the back deck).   That keeps them at my working level, and they know they have to stand still for me.   It was a rather warm day and Dixie got tired of standing still as soon as I finished her back.  I let her flop down and decided to move on to her face and ears.  I then scissor cut her eyebrows, trimmed around the leather of the ear (to shape it). 

Dixie is patient but hot and tired!
'Some one tell me...When will she be done!"


Using the scissors requires a bit of an eye for keeping things even.  Its probably the trickiest part of the haircut process.   I have to hold Dixie's muzzle firm to trim that beard.  She doesn't want me messin' with her face!

After the face, Dixie had to stand up again for me to scissor her legs and sides.  I reach under her belly and push up.  She stands reluctantly...but understands she has to wait now.




Wow Mom, I can see again!











"...But my ears still look pretty stupid!"

























I like to leave the hair on the back a bit longer, since Dixie's fur is not too thick.

When I am all finished I stand back, let Dixie shake off the loose fur and look at her from all angles.  I usually find I missed a few spots.  But it is always a relief to see Dixie looking so much better!
Dixie looks like a Schauzer again!

No comments:

Post a Comment